About Semarang

Semarang is a city located on the north coast of the island of Java, Indonesia. It is Central Java’s capital and largest city of the province.

Semarang has a population of approximately 1.8 million people, making it one of Indonesia’s most populous city (ranked 5th) and the fifth largest Indonesian city after Jakarta, Surabaya, Bandung, and Medan.

Semarang also has a few landmarks such as Tugu Muda, Sam Poo Kong (Gedung Batu Temple), and Lawang Sewu.

Tugu Muda

Tugu Muda (roughly translated as “Young Monument”) is a monument built to commemorate the services of the heroes who have fallen in the Battle of Five Days in Semarang. The height of Tugu Muda is 53 meters. Tugu Muda is located in front of Lawang Sewu at Pemuda street. It depicts the Tugu Muda fighting spirit and patriotism of Semarang residents, especially the youth who are persistent, self-sacrificing in high spirits maintaining the independence of Indonesia. The laying of the first stone took place on October 28, 1945, by Mr. Wongsonegoro (Governor of Central Java) at the originally planned location is near the square

Sam Poo Kong

Sam Poo Kong, also known as Gedung Batu Temple, is the oldest Chinese temple in Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia. Originally established by the Chinese Muslim explorer Zheng He (also known as Sanbao), it is now shared by Indonesians of multiple religious denominations, including Muslims and Buddhists, and ethnicities, including Chinese and Javanese.

Lawang Sewu

Lawang Sewu (“Thousand Doors”) is a landmark in Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia, built as the headquarters of the Dutch East Indies Railway Company. The colonial era building is famous as a though the Semarang city government has attempted to rebrand it.

The name Lawang Sewu is from Javanese; it means “Thousand Doors”. The name comes from its design, with numerous doors and arcs. Lawang Sewu has about 600 large windows.

Blenduk Church

Blenduk Church is located in the historic old town area of Semarang, Central Java. The name, Blenduk, which means round and fat, reflects the shape of its dome. The Protestant church was built by the Dutch in 1753 and has had several renovations. Inside the church is a Baroque pipe organ from the 1700s.